Saturday 5 August 2017

It all Started When it Ended!

What puzzle is this?  My logical reader will correctly conclude that the two instances of 'it' in today's title must refer either to something cyclical or else to two different things.  It is a funny old word, isn't it?  Though I sometimes go over things enough times to be thought of as cyclical - at least, repetitious - in this instance there are indeed two things.

That which was ending is my holiday, which came to a slightly premature conclusion on Friday evening, after a rainy but otherwise mercifully uneventful drive from Wrexham; that beginning is the remarkably achieving week now drawing to its close, the highlights of which I shall now relate.

The holiday had begun with a phone call saying that my bathroom would be redecorated while I was away, a fortunate coincidence that gave the decorator unhindered access, and allowed the paint smell to disperse to a great extent in my absence.  It (the holiday!) ended with a series of SMS exchanges on Thursday evening, as a result of which my bath was sealed the following day and new blinds fitted in kitchen and bathroom.

While I was away, I had made arrangements to give my old vacuum cleaner to a couple of sisters who are setting up home in the neighbouring town, so one of my first tasks on returning was to use it to clean up the inevitable post-decorating detritus before cleaning the cleaner and delivering it.  When I got round to replacing the cleaner on Tuesday, I decided to retain the box against any future need that might arise, so it was tossed on a pile of 'stuff' in the corner of my bedroom.

Meanwhile, I learned of a newly-widowed lady who was clearing out her late husband's office, by means of which I successfully acquired a free laminator. The result of this arrival was a small heap of unwanted items from emptying a drawer in which to store it.  While making arrangements for passing these on, I remembered that the pile in the bedroom, recently topped off by the cleaner box, had overbalanced and now leant with unseemly affection towards the wardrobe.  While in tidying mode, I decided to take my new cleaner, shut myself in the bedroom, and clear everything out of that corner, so as to more securely store those things that were to be retained.

More activity on the free-recycling website ensued.  Consequently, an unused artist set has found a happy new owner, someone has the means of storing seeds, one can enjoy the sunshine in her garden, and another can keep her feet dry on her allotment.  I also discovered a cork board that I had totally forgotten about, which now graces the wall in front of my desk, and hopefully will keep me more organised in future.  There are a few small items yet to be disposed of but, overall, I feel content at the conclusion of the tidying exercise.

One of the reasons for coming home a day earlier than planned from my holiday was the unexpected sum I had needed to spend to keep my car on the road, following a breakdown.  Scared that I would overspend, I decided to curtail the possibility of spending.  In the event I found I had over-budgeted and needn't have been so fearful but, as the accountant in me would always claim, 'better safe than sorry!'  I was still a bit worried about the car, so yesterday morning found me at the garage soon after they opened, seeking reassurance that all was well.  Happily, this was forthcoming.  It's good to have built up a good relationship with them while I was working, so I can enjoy such favours now.

The final blessing was the rain clearing this afternoon so that I felt comfortable going to watch one of the new season's early FA Cup ties.  It wasn't a great day for local teams.  The tie nearest to my home saw Stotfold lose 12-1 to Berkhamstead.  I went to my usual ground a few miles up the A1 and saw Biggleswade FC lose 4-1 to Wisbech Town.  Although they are playing in different leagues at the same level this season, the home team have just been promoted after only one season of senior football, while the visitors have a long history, and got to the quarter finals of the FA Vase only three years ago.  My 'native' team, Diss Town, now playing one division lower, also lost, by 5-0 to Great Yarmouth Town.  With all the Cup excitement thus over for the present, most league campaigns start during the coming week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.