Monday 4 July 2011

Busy weekend

I keep a note of all my private mileage, so that I can account for the fuel correctly in my records.  Although some weekends this is a fairly high number, it might reflect perhaps attendance at a meeting some way away, or a visit to friends or relatives.  It can indicate a relaxing time.  On other occasions the number can be quite low, and be equally misleading, for it can disguise a busy weekend, like the one that's just over.

I got home late on Friday evening, so Saturday began rather lethargically.  I went to the shops, and sorted out my admin at home.  Then, after lunch, with the washing whirring away in the machine, I trundled off to the Striking Competition (see former blog "Down Time" to learn what this is) which was followed by a magnificent repast while we waited for the results.  Although there were only five teams taking part, we knew from the outset that we wouldn't be good enough to win, and we estimated that we'd come fourth.  Our guess was a good one.  We beat one other team, but felt encouraged by the fact that several other towers in the district hadn't put a team into the contest, which was a fair indicator that, if they had, they wouldn't have been able to better us.  So we considered ourselves in reality fourth out of perhaps 15 or 20!

Then yesterday, of course, I was out early to go ringing as usual at 8.40am, albeit only for about twenty minutes.  Home again, I had an unusual enthusiasm for housework, and got the vacuum cleaner out for some action before it was time to go to church.  On the way I called in to a local shop to buy the newspaper, although I have to admit that up to now it lays unopened on the table.  The service appeared to be badly attended in comparison to normal, but this was because a number of regulars had gone to the Cathedral to support our new curate at his ordination.  This reminded me that later in the day there would be a 'lunch and tea party' to welcome him to the parish, and afford an opportunity to put a face to the name.

I came home to finish the housework and have a quick lunch before preparing my usual 'diary' e-mail, in which I summarise the week's events for three close family members who (I believe) like to keep track of my comings and goings.  At any rate, the exercise provides me with a chance to reflect on what has been done, the people met and experiences shared, and 'put the week to bed', so to speak.  Then it was out again to 'meet the curate', and after consuming yet another plate of food - which could scarcely be justified - I enjoyed a few minutes' quiet chat with a friend who, like me, will shortly be going on holiday.  I envied him the prospect of a family camping week, but not some of the other trials he's going through at present.

And this morning comes the quiet after the storm.  A much quieter Monday than usual, for my van has gone to be serviced, and I can sit at home and catch up on other things while I wait for that phone call ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.