Friday 4 January 2019

But What is Normal?

With the paraphernalia of Christmas packed away for next year, or else filling the bins awaiting the attention of the refuse collection operatives (let's be PC!), the New Year has dawned, we've recovered from what ever celebrations that invoked, and life is beginning to get back to normal.

But just what is normal?  We can say simply that, because we're no longer 'on holiday', normal life has resumed.  Some people, though, won't start back to work until next Monday; many production lines will have closed down for the whole fortnight.  Others, however - in the financial world for example - will have suffered three days' normal working between the bank holidays and this will be their third working day of the new year.  And those unfortunate enough to work in large stores will have been called in to man the checkouts on Boxing Day, and possibly New Year's Day as well.

What of us, the so-called 'lucky' ones, who no longer work for a living?  If we have entertained family for the festival, they have all gone home again; if we were the ones who visited, then it's we who are back home now.  We're all picking up the threads of whatever pattern 'normal life' has for us.  For some every day is basically the same routine: getting up, having meals, providing for everyday needs such as washing, shopping and walking the dog, and going to bed. 

I consider myself one of the more fortunate ones for whom each day is different. I won't bore you with the details (if you're a regular reader, you will already know them anyway).  Suffice to say that the regular activities of some days have resumed this week, and others won't until next week.  I've returned from my first shift on the van for the local hospice, helping with the collection of donations from a very generous public, so, now that I'm home on a Friday afternoon, it's time to write this blog.

One thing I fitted in before turning to the keyboard is the removal of something that has been annoying me for some weeks.  I had noticed a little blob of scale on my kitchen tap and this typical male has been saying, 'when I get round to it, I'll get that off'.  Well, now I can say instead, 'that tap looks better now!' and feel appreciated ... by myself if by no one else.

Now to see what other post-holiday mischief I can get up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.