Friday 14 December 2018

"Dull Days Afore Christmas"

Some while ago in this medium, I wrote about the fact of my father having left me a wealth of wisdom.  Unlike the literati of this world, he didn't do so in the form of a shelf of writings - not even a single slim volume - but in a variety of wise sayings, some of which I heard countless times, uttered in his irreplaceable north Suffolk dialect.  Many a time as I grow older I recall something he'd said and mutter to myself, 'I see now what Dad meant by that'.

And so to my title today, another of his sayings.  It seems obvious.  With Christmas just around the corner, we would be in December, or at least late November, when days of warm wall-to-wall sunshine were most definitely not the norm.  So they were 'dull days' occurring before - or in his word 'afore' - the festival.  But I question whether there might not be a deeper meaning to this.

This week passed, as have many lately, very quickly.  In fact, last night I wrote an e-mail asking if someone would be around 'tomorrow lunchtime', only to get a swift correcting reply informing me that I meant Saturday!  My mind had surpassed itself in trying to cope with the speed of one day following another.  But the fullness of time that always makes the days pass quickly has comprised a sequence of things that are, of themselves, just routine.  For several weeks now, there has been a single pattern to my week, that has repeated over and over again, with no specific highlight.

The first signs of excitement leading up to Christmas began on December the first, the day before the start of the church's season of Advent.  For a number of years now, we have gathered in the church hall to sing carols, watch the children decorating the tree and sing carols around the piano before joining in a fish-and-chip supper.  It is accepted that this will happen and, through the diligent and thorough preparation of a dedicated few, it happens.  Although special of itself, it has now become commonplace.

The next regular event is the bell-ringers' Christmas dinner, another year-after-year occasion that has become routine.  A few years ago we used to go to a different pub each year, but maybe with age has grown laziness, and for several years now we favour the pub across the road from the church; it's convenient and offers good food at an acceptable price.  Sometimes I used not to go, either because of the unpredictability of work or simply for fear of the discomfort of a heavy meal late in the day.  These days, with no work considerations, or perhaps just not caring so much, I prefer fellowship with discomfort against neither.

For me, the first unusual event this year came last Saturday when I accepted an invitation to a party.  I'll admit it, I'm not naturally a party animal but there was something about this one, not least that it was an afternoon do, that attracted me.  It was something to look forward to and, came the day, I really enjoyed it.  There was plenty of good food, the company was of mixed ages so it was easy to find someone to talk to and, with children present, there was a good supply of non-alcoholic drink too.

So the spell of 'dull days' - whether meteorologically dull or not - comes to an end.  This weekend will see the church's carol service, another annual event, but here there will be the highlight of musical challenges not hitherto attempted by our choral group, and the excitement of seeing just how our new vicar will deal with this important festival, when many who don't attend church on a weekly basis will be coming along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.