Friday 16 November 2018

Lots of Effort ... and Quid Pro Quo

Do you sometimes get weeks when you know you've been busy, but you can't see just what you've achieved?  This has been one of those weeks.  It started, like many, with the men's breakfast at the church, for which we managed a full turnout of the regulars, despite some being engaged at an evening gathering on Sunday night.

Then came an errand that could have been avoided if I'd had my wits about me a week before.  Among my church responsibilities is that of being one third of the team responsible for the parish magazine.  Each issue includes a 'spotlight' profile of one of the church family that results from a personal interview with me.  I went on one such visit last week and was so impressed by the personal history thus revealed to me that I completely forgot to take a picture of my 'victim'.  On Monday morning, therefore, I paid my guest a second visit solely for this purpose.

Another chunk of my 'spare time' is devoted to the local branch of the Liberal Democrats, of which I have temporarily assumed the role of secretary following the resignation of the elected officer during the summer for personal reasons.  This is normally a quite undemanding role but, with our AGM coming up in a few weeks, there are certain preliminaries to be observed.  Most of our members received an invitation to this by e-mail last week; however, we don't have e-mail addresses for all of them, so the others had to be telephoned ... and guess on whose shoulders that responsibility fell!  The other job that I fitted into my busy Monday was preparing the paperwork ready for the meeting itself.

This week there was no drop-in, where I usually help on a Thursday morning, so I quickly found a replacement for my only other obligation this weekend and left to spend a few days with my cousin in Eastwood. When we made the arrangement for this a couple of weeks ago, it seemed convenient - with my ready agreement - for her to arrange a visit to the vet for the family cat and also an out-patient appointment at the local hospital, both of which could more easily be achieved using my car than needing to resort to a taxi or public transport.

It's always good to feel useful. Occasionally one feels that all one has contributed to a relaxing weekend is one's company, but sometimes there are ways of repaying hospitality, that somehow restore the balance in a family relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.