Friday 5 October 2018

One Thing Leads to Another!

I may have used this title before but if so I've no compunction about using it again.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found it to be true, both in an immediate sense, and also when reflecting over past events and realising how they have led to later developments ... those 'if only ...' moments: some good, some bad.  This week's events have embraced examples of both short- and long-term categories. 

A year ago, I was prompted to go along with a few others as representatives of our church in response to a town-wide appeal to explore the possibility of starting a breakfast/drop-in facility to help the town's homeless or vulnerable citizens.  At that stage, my interest was purely from the point of view of information-gathering; nothing would persuade me to do anything in a kitchen or, for that matter, talk to strangers!  However, when a clipboard was passed round to collect names of those who would like to explore the idea further, it collected mine and gradually I was drawn in.

At first, I committed myself to 'the Ark' on a once a month basis to 'set the scene', putting tables and chairs out and so on.  After that I would stand by the serving hatch, sipping coffee and observing ... and feeling more and more uncomfortable about not taking an active part in what was going on.  The name ARK stands for Always Room for Kindness, and I felt uneasy that keeping my distance like this betrayed that aim.  Eventually one of the other helpers drew me into a conversation she was having with a 'client' and the ice was broken.  Soon my monthly visit became fortnightly and, having no competing commitment, I began attending every week.

In a conversation with that same helper one week, I think it was a comparison between her children growing up and leaving her some free time and my having retired that led to the revelation that she also volunteers at the local hospice, and the suggestion that there might be a need in their warehouse that could provide an application for some of my excess capacity.  Once I'd been accepted by the organisation, I determined that - as much for my own enjoyment as anything else - I wanted my commitment to be a versatile one.  I am therefore learning what is involved in collecting larger donations from houses, and servicing the retail shops that raise funds, and also computer work, processing books for bulk sale.  Inevitably, the odd items that, for one reason or another, can't be sold catch the eye as potentially of interest or use to the volunteers so, rather than see them scrapped, we are able to pay a small amount and claim them as ours.

When I brought home a couple of CDs this week, I realised that my already full cabinet wouldn't accommodate them, and space had to be made by selecting two unwanted ones to offer as donations on my next visit.  Today I spotted, sitting on top of a skip in the yard, what looked like a roll-top CD cabinet; further examination revealed that one of the roller doors was split.  I thought it could be mended and enquired about obtaining it for my use.  It was quickly mended - to my satisfaction, at least - and I set about filling it, only to discover that the width of the sections makes it more suitable for DVDs than CDs.  As a result, it is now filled with these and, by virtue of 'moving the space along', I have capacity for some more books on my shelves ... and a few cobwebs have been evicted in the process!

As if all this 'personal development' weren't enough, a few weeks ago, as I emerged from the theatre, I bumped into the chairman of my local Liberal Democrat branch, who asked me if I would take some minutes at that week's meeting.  This led to my agreeing to take on the secretary's duties up to the next Annual Meeting.  Following on from that, the need to circulate all members with information from time to time, led this week to my exploring the intricacies of MailChimp, which, after two sacrificed evenings on the altar of discovery, I would like to say I've just about mastered ... time alone will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.