Friday 15 September 2017

Almost Like Being at Work!

In complete contrast to last week's calm, there have been times this week when that title was scarcely sufficient to describe its intensity ... for many different reasons.  One of these was this morning, when I exclaimed, "What NOW?" as one thing and then another clamoured for my attention, while I was already engaged on a third ... all to do with the same basic activity area. I'm sure many of my readers will know this feeling: one from which I had thought retirement would bring freedom.

The week began - for the second time, now - with the welcome and buoyant start that is our men's breakfast meeting.  It was very productive, even though only five of us were able to make it, focused this week on 'confession'.  Later on, I pursued further what has almost become something of a 'parish survey', in connection with the Christmas card distribution plan that I mentioned last week.  A brief meeting on Tuesday with my collaborator ensured that we are aligned in our thinking about the tactics of this, and now, subject to any change to details resulting from more road checks to be carried out in the coming weeks, the essential planning is done.

Ringing practice was as informal as ever, lightened even more this week by a visit from an occasional ringer who is celebrating becoming a granddad, passing around pictures of the new arrival.  The bond amongst ringers never fails to impress me by its openness, strength and endurance.

Tuesday found me in the throes of that family history catch-up of my cousin's husband's family, which has taken me so long partly owing to my propensity for distraction.  In one of these side-tracked moments, I found the name of someone who had married into the family in the 1840s that I thought I recognised ... and couldn't resist checking it out.  It transpired that, by marriage, he was part of my great-grandfather's family.  The result was that I could piece together on a single sheet a string of descents and marriages that link together my cousin and me with her husband!  Some weeks ago, I found a similar link on my father's side that links her husband to me, but I have yet to lay it out so impressively - yet another of those 'one day' jobs!

Wednesday was its usual combination of church and domesticity.  After attendance at the midweek service came shopping and ironing and our home-group met in the afternoon for the first time in the new season.  The leader confessed that she hadn't been able to construct many questions from the allotted passage ... but managed to conduct as broad and enlightening a discussion as ever!

I followed this by a brief visit to a 'pre-planning-application' exhibition regarding a housing development only a few streets away from my home.  To many present there seemed to be a number of glaring oversights to the suggested arrangement, including the number and layout of the houses; the fact of there being only one vehicular access, and that from a narrow lane with no pavements; and the matter of the preserved open space being tucked away in a corner, while the centre of the area is devoted to the back gardens of what would be, in effect, 'back-to-back' properties.

Yesterday was a day of outstanding success.  With no external commitments at all, I spent almost twelve hours - apart from a brief interlude in the kitchen converting a piece of meat and some vegetables into an appetising stew (rewarding in itself!) - working with spreadsheets.  The stepping-off point was my weekly review of investments which, of itself, normally takes less than an hour.  But, for some while there have been a number of anomalies from one set of records to another and, coupled with the need to make amendments to accommodate some new funds, in the way that one thing leads to another, there were thoughts of 'why don't I ...?' and 'wouldn't it be better if ...?'  With nothing to stop progress, all those questions were answered positively and I went to bed contented and ready to sleep the sleep of the satisfied.

Today there has been much preparation for the morrow, which will be a day of healthy self-inspection and enjoyment within our church community, involving some teaching, along with a variety of activities, communal eating and, finally, dancing.  Of course there will be lots of things to get ready and, as one of the designated 'shift and arrange' team, I shall be exercising in that direction shortly.  As Health and Safety Officer, my morning has been diverted to examine and approve risk assessments for some of the activities as well as following a recommended course myself.

As one of my friends has said, many times, 'It's all go here!' ... but I don't think I'd swap it for being back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.