Friday 14 October 2016

Looking Back and Looking Forward

Looking for some structure upon which to base my weekly review, I realise that this week has been a bit 'Janus-like', looking backwards - in some cases quite a way into the past -  but also looking forward, too.

Whilst doing a bit of tidying up last weekend, I came across an old book of prayer notes dated 2014 that had been surplus to requirements, but which hadn't been re-cycled at the time.  Before finally consigning this to the bin, I flicked through it and realised that it contained a Bible-reading list that could be fairly easily adapted for 2017.  A few hours with a spreadsheet turned inspiration into achievement, neatly knocking something off the (as yet unwritten) New Year to-do list.

Another constructive idea last weekend features my handicraft skills, so little-used these days as to be virtually atrophied.  My armchair is in need of being re-vitalised, and I had the idea of making it a cover.  This was inspired by my cousin, who recently completed a blanket for her spare bed made of knitted squares (Well done, Jean!).  Although I was taught to knit as an infant, my ability in that direction is severely limited, and for this purpose, I decided to re-kindle a skill I must have learned in early adulthood, although I can't for the life of me remember where or who from: that of crochet.

I remember making something - what actually it was now escapes me - when I was first living alone in the 1980s, comprising what are commonly known as 'granny squares' - one of the simplest crochet techniques - and I shall use this principle to make the chair cover.  I sought advice from my daughter about materials and sources, but got far more than I bargained for!  Not only did she remember the crochet of my past, she told me where it was that I had kept my wool and hooks, and also revealed that it was I who, in those days, had shown her how to crochet!  The expression 'the biter bit' came to mind, and in a further exchange I likened this to my teaching her to drive.  She had a story to tell me about that, too, of which I had no recollection.  And they say that age improves memory?

One thing that's very much in the news at the moment is the question of Britain's proposed exit from the European Union ... the so-called 'Brexit'. Some great new revelation on the subject is in the news each day it seems; how it will all end - and when - is anybody's guess.  Some definite and alarming effects are already being felt at the mere announcement of it, never mind when it actually happens.  With the value of sterling falling, bizarrely, the investment markets have risen and, as I monitored the value of my pension fund, I began skimming off some of the biggest increases and re-investing them.  It occurred to me this week to compare the performance of these new investments with the measure of how they would have performed if I'd left them where they were.  It says something for my market-awareness - or lack of it - when I discovered that, in over £5,000 of such trading, I'm now actually worse off, although only by £33!

As mentioned last week, I spent this Tuesday once more in the Liberal Democrats' by-election campaign HQ in Witney, addressing envelopes.  At the end of this, I felt that I had given sufficient support to the cause to express my solidarity and that, with everything else going on in my life, I wouldn't be going there any more ... although I shall still follow the campaign on social media.  However, tomorrow I dip my toe a little further into the world of politics by attending the party's Regional Conference, which will take place in Peterborough, only an hour or so's drive from home. Given the discovery above of the effectiveness (!) of my prowess in a field with which I am - to a limited extent - familiar, I'm treating tomorrow's excursion most definitely as a time of learning, so don't go looking for me on the hustings any time soon ... if ever.

Today, I took advantage of a bright, if cool, morning to explore the bus services to Bedford in readiness for a similar journey in earnest some time next week.  This will be to collect Mary the motorhome following her extended stay at the repair shop for the annual MOT test and at the same time the advisory habitation checks.  Now I know the best way to get that far, all that will remain will be securing a seat on the last leg of the journey, by train.  When I did this in the opposite direction the other week, I had the whole carriage to myself ... such luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.