Saturday 30 April 2016

Everything's Going my Way!

There's been such a 'bright golden haze' of blessings on the meadow of my week that I thought I ought to make them the subject of this blog before I forget them all.  They began on Sunday morning when I went as usual to ring bells after the early service.  On Saturday I'd turned up as planned to ring for St George's Day and found that, unexpectedly, I was in charge.  It's some while since I've held the reins, so to speak, and I wasn't prepared for the responsibility.  To say that it was a shambles is only a little overstated, but I certainly didn't feel I'd done the occasion justice.

On Sunday, the usual person was once more on parade, and the ringing was a dream.  The week was off to a good start.  This was maintained when I later learned that the lady I had suggested as the most suitable potential candidate had accepted nomination as our new churchwarden.  This will be ratified in a couple of weeks or so, and I'm looking forward to her being one of my 'bosses' in my health-and-safety role.  This role came to the fore on Monday, as I followed up someone's enquiry about our wheelchairs, and whether or not they met with all the legal requirements.  There was a certain amount of 'job satisfaction' in carrying that investigation to a positive conclusion.

On Tuesday the post brought me a parcel of socks kindly knitted for me by my daughter, who has decided that my feet shall be both warmly comfortable and sartorially elegant ... thank you so very much, Sally!  And I also had confirmation of an interview next week with regard to a voluntary undertaking in which I expressed interest a few weeks ago, so that heralds an interesting day out to come.

Last week's brief tour of Lincolnshire brought an unfortunate encounter with a traffic warden ... in my absence, I'm glad to say.  I had parked the motorhome neatly in two spaces of a car park where there wasn't a weight limit (I'd found several earlier in the week at another town that were limited to about 1.5 tonnes, far too low for the motorhome), and had bought a ticket for the value of two spaces for the time I intended to stay.  Unfortunately, this sum should have bought two separate tickets, and for this minor administrative misdemeanour I received a Penalty Charge Notice.

Of course I challenged this when I got home although, having checked with the notice on the car park at the time, I realised that, in strict terms, I was caught 'bang to rights'.  On Wednesday I received a delightfully precise letter from the local District Council, saying that I should have made sure that there were two tickets on my windscreen as directed before leaving the vehicle ... but, on this occasion only, they would accept my challenge and cancel the Charge Notice.  The final paragraph cautioned me against doing the same thing on another occasion ....!

There was further good news of a personal nature on Thursday, about something I had been anxious about for several weeks, and the week was rounded off by a very comforting and strengthening day of prayer and fasting at the church yesterday and, as the good weather continued - apparently unlike much of the country - I managed to get the car washed this morning in bright sunshine.  This is such a rare event now I have to do it myself, whereas I used to take the van through the car wash on average every other week, that it deserves a mention!

After such a week, how will the next one compete, I wonder?  Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.