Saturday 28 November 2015

The End is Nigh!

I remember when, many years ago now, I got engaged.  I wasn't sure how it had happened, but happen it had, and I was now living with the con- sequences.  Similar considerations apply to two later events in my life, and this week brought with it another one for the collection.  It all started on Saturday morning, when I took my van to the tyre centre to have the pressures checked.  It was noted that the front tyres were showing signs of uneven wear, and the forecast was that they would probably only last another few thousand miles.  On Monday I had the van serviced, and asked for a second opinion.  They decided that to swap front for rear would be a good idea, since the forces are different, and envisaged a further 10,000 miles from them.

For a number of weeks now, I've been toying with the idea of curtailing my phased retirement plan, but had come up with no firm decision.  From the outset the plan had been circumscribed with the caveat that it would only be fulfilled so long as the van should last, but the question has thus far been unanswered, 'how - apart from an almighty explosion - can one tell when the van has had enough?'  A further complication was that, whenever I were to stop work, I should need the van to be still roadworthy enough to effect an exchange with a replacement vehicle.  After paying the garage bill - hefty, the same as last time, because other bits had needed to be replaced - my future course suddenly seemed clear.  I would bring forward my planned two weeks' work in January, and finish for good on the 15th.

Next day, I followed up recent investigations into the availability of a suitable car, and arranged a test drive.  I had a family engagement to fulfil on Wednesday, so it was Thursday morning when I got to try out my chosen car.  Being basically the same controls and layout as the vans I've been driving for many years, the outcome was virtually predictable.  I loved it, and we began filling in forms and making arrangements.

The big snag came when I asked for a completion date in the middle of January.  The vendors didn't like the idea of a sold vehicle clogging up their yard for nearly a couple of months, but would entertain it provided I paid for it up front, and agreed to a hefty penalty clause should I change my mind in that time and ask for a refund.  From their viewpoint, this made sense, but I said that, if I had to pay for it, then I'd take it before Christmas, thank you very much!

This was much more acceptable on both sides, so in Suetonius' words to Julius Caesar, 'iacta alea est' - the die is cast.  I have three more weeks to work, and then on 21st December I shall collect the true symbol of my retirement ... the first saloon car I've owned for over ten years.  Yesterday was our church's monthly day of prayer and fasting so, in between three gatherings there, I spent the day tying up loose ends.  I re-arranged my finances, and made a payment to the car showroom; organised the insurance for the car and instructed the cancellation of the policy on the van ... timed to allow me to use it on the day for the exchange.

Today has offered a distinct contrast to the high excitement that has gone before, helping to clear the fallen leaves from around the church, and this afternoon gets the Advent and Christmas season under way as we see the decoration of the tree in the church hall, accompanied by the singing of the first Christmas carols.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.