Sunday 11 March 2012

Of Boxes, Budgets and Foolish Virgins!

As I look back over this week, I see that it comprised two distinct parts.  From a standing start on Monday, I was out by mid morning, but it was only to Leatherhead and Bracknell, and I was back in embarrassingly good time to go ringing in the evening.  Tuesday's excursion into Kent was only as far as Strood, and I was back soon after lunch.  I had brought my little netbook with me, and spent the afternoon making a first stab at a budget for the new financial year.  The more realistically I tweaked the figures, the more depressed I became - especially when I realised that in those two days the results of my activity had only just exceeded one day's budgeted income! 

As I've explained to a number of interested friends, this inactivity at a personal level isn't entirely due to the recession or lack of recovery from it.  In part it is a simple consequence of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Some drivers seem to drift effortlessly from one good job to another, to another, and collect another on their way back from far places, while others have days on end with only single jobs that aren't far away at all, just because of who is available when the jobs come in or are required.  So it was that, as Tuesday drew to a close, I heard with some envy that other drivers had been given multiple jobs at some distance, while I was selected for one that used to be quite a regular a year or more ago, and often came my way - a rather tame delivery from a factory in Luton to an RAF base in Suffolk.

Knowing that this would only take half a day, and would virtually guarantee another boring afternoon in the crew room, drifting pointlessly from coffee to crossword, I was none too pleased.  In my prayers on Wednesday, I sought the willpower to trust in God's provision for my needs.  Back from Suffolk by early afternoon, I did at least have the encouraging sniff of an evening run to the midlands, but then, instead of this, I had the earlier reality of a collection in Welwyn GC for Boston, and on my way there came a phone call offering me a 7.0 pick-up in Bedford for Preston on Thursday.  Naturally I said 'yes,' and this worked out very well for me, since Thursday evening was one of those rare times when I have an engagement that I don't like to cry off (although sometimes this has been unavoidable.)  I help one of a small number of teams on a rota to read items from the local free paper, providing a 'talking newspaper' for blind people in the area.  This week it was our turn, and I was able comfortably to take my place with my friends at the microphone.

Friday was beginning to resemble the old pattern once more, as I'd been allocated an 8.30 collection in Milton Keynes for Wantage.  But then, as I prepared my tea, came another call, inviting me to return to the office and collect some railway spares that had to be taken to MK next morning, which added value to the journey.  Then, as I sat in the crew room in the afternoon, wondering if that would be the end of the week, the controller walked in and asked for volunteers for a couple of decent jobs yesterday.  No one spoke up immediately, but after a few moments I realised that the 'important' jobs I'd been planning for Saturday morning could be postponed until Monday, so I declared myself available, and by 8.30am I was delivering a box to a food processing factory just a few miles outside Launceston.

My plan, such as it was, was to make good use of the trip to see somewhere new before returning home, and I took my camera for the purpose.  It was early afternoon before I'd escaped the dull and damp weather that seemed determined to cling to the west country, but at Shepton Mallet I found a brown tourist sign for East Somerset Railway, and followed where it led.  Although it was not open to the public, the men who were at work by the trackside didn't object as I began taking pictures. 
Then disaster struck.  The camera made it clear that it needed new batteries.  No problem; I always carry a spare set in the case and - very carefully, since I was by then at my vantage point looking over the parapet of the road bridge (which you can just make out here behind the white signal) - I removed the dead batteries and replaced them.  Sadly, the replacements too seemed to be in need of recharging.  I felt like a foolish virgin (Matt. 25:3), and retreated shamefully to my van, having been unable to record half of what I'd seen.

So, what has this experience taught me?  Let me just say that, after an evening of searching for the battery charger, which has now recovered pride of place on the kitchen shelf, I now have a functioning camera once more ... AND a monthly electronic reminder to check the batteries and recharge them if necessary.  I wonder what else in life ought to be subjected to the same treatment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.