Sunday 26 February 2012

A 'chain' week

This week has been interesting, but a bit of a chain.  Many times one job has led on to another, but there hasn't been a proper 'double' all week, i.e. two jobs going together to the same area, which is much more profitable.  I won't bore you with the details, but here's a single highlight from each day.

On Monday afternoon I rescued a gas engineer who was locked out of his van in Windsor High Street.  These vans have an unforgiving security feature in that, once slammed shut, the back portion can only be opened with the key, and if the key is inside at the time, e.g. in your coat pocket ... oh dear!  Tuesday found me in the depths of the massive BT establishment at Martlesham Heath in Suffolk, while Wednesday began by taking a load of bread to an Essex dairy (echoes of the breakfast of a former age here!)

After a none-too-sleepful night, Thursday's excitements included a visit to Yeovil, and I needed to stop for a snooze at Andover on the way back.  I was woken by a phone call, asking me to be in Bedford at 7.0 the following morning to take a small - and very light - box to a railway engineer at Brighton station.  The week ended in a haze of headache and bewilderment. 

During the week, I'd volunteered along with others for a Saturday evening job in connection with the new Sunday paper, but I realised in time that I was already committed to a Church Barn Dance event last night.  So while my colleagues were taking hot-off-the-press newsprint to 'specific destinations', I was enjoying being told what to do by a most proficient caller.  For the most part these affairs are straightforward, even if enjoyably chaotic, but inevitably there are more women than men (as expertly articulated by Joyce Grenfell) and it does get a trifle complicated when the 'man' is sporting a large bosom and wearing a dress, while her (sorry - his!) partner is in jeans!

A good time was had by all, however, and waking to another bright spring day, all I really have to complain about is the aches and pains in muscles I'd forgotten ever existed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.