Saturday 31 December 2011

Downtime

It's usual, at holiday times, for a list to be issued to all us self-employed types (each of whom is a law unto himself), to declare when we will or will not be available for work over the holiday period.  I changed my normal pattern this year.  For the last few years, I've gone away for Christmas, declared myself available over the New Year, and then had another week off in January, when I helped in the library of the Society of Genealogy during their 'working week'.

Now, you may or may not realise it, but one of the most hazardous aspects of the untrained working in libraries is the possibility of sprained thumbs as the hands are spread to their widest to lift a span of up to 5" of books at a time.  The weight of this width of books along a shelf can be as little as one pound, or as much as three or four, depending upon the size, material and age of the books concerned.  The resulting strain on unaccustomed hands of three or four solid days of this work can be quite deleterious, and last year I found my thumbs still aching at midsummer.

Taking this into consideration along with a number of other factors, I decided that this year would be different.  I stayed at home for Christmas, and have journeyed away for part of the interval before the New Year.  And then, once I've returned to work next week, if I do have time off later in the month it will be because of the seasonal downturn in the delivery business rather than to go to 'working week', much though I have enjoyed the company there in past years.  This overall decision was endorsed when I discovered that I had been selected for the privilege of reading the Christmas Gospel for the midnight service.  I had no intention of seeking someone with whom to swap!

So, what benefits have accrued as a result of this year's break?  First of all, as expected, a week away from the disciplines of work has enabled the body to relax, and I find I'm yawning a lot as a result.  The work pattern hasn't been completely cast aside, however, and I still wake up at silly o'clock in the mornings, despite retiring a little later at night.  [Yes, I know that may be a cause of extra tiredness and hence yawning, but I'm sticking to my earlier excuse - sorry, explanation!]  And then there's the matter of staying for some days in a family home. 

As one normally living alone with full control of his time and space, the challenge of sharing these facilities with two others - however welcoming they might be - is one that has to be recognised and overcome.  I have made the necessary allowances, and in return have been accorded privileges above the average due to a guest.  In so doing, I have observed the details of domestic trivia being lived out around me, and compared these to the short-cuts and half-dones that are my own equivalent arrangements - and I feel enriched.

Now for the reciprocal challenge of going home ..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.