Sunday 1 May 2011

Where do I begin?

When you've never done something before, there is always a feeling of trepidation as you set out.  It doesn't matter whether it's your first dive from the top board at the local swimming pool, or walking into a new job, or something far less auspicious, like just walking down the road from your new home, first times are always a bit daunting.  You think, "Who's looking?", "What will they think of me?",  "Do I look the way I should?", "Will I do myself credit?" ... and so on. 

Long ago, a friend gave me a bit of a verbal slap and at the same time instilled a degree of confidence for such occasions.  She asked me, "Do you really think they're so interested as to be looking at your every move?"  And, of course, the answer has to be a resounding 'no.'  Unless your name is Prince William, people just aren't interested.  The problem is solely in your own mind.  So, here goes with my first-ever blog, and I have only one person to satisfy with it - myself.

What am I hoping to get out of it, then?  For some while, I have kidded myself that I'm a writer.  This is the chance to prove that it's true, and not just a whim.  I can see what I've written in print, for one thing.  That's something else than the book I self-published a couple of years ago.  I ordered over a hundred copies of it, thinking that it would sell like hot cakes, and I've still got over a third of them stashed away in my bedroom!

The other principal aim is to give anyone who is interested an idea of what a life on four wheels is like.  Now, don't get me wrong: I don't actually live on four wheels (although it does feel that way sometimes).  No, home for me is a flat in the world's First Garden City, and I work as a same-day courier.  As a result of this way of earning a living, I might breakfast at home and be back home for tea, or at the other extreme I might find myself at the other end of the country for one or other of these ... and occasionally both!

Well, having set out my goals, I'm going to take what I consider to be a well-earned rest, and wait until work begins again after the bank holiday.  Then I shall have something positive to report, and as you read it you'll learn something about me too.