Saturday 19 March 2022

Mono-focused

We can read in the Bible about a man who had just bought five yoke of oxen and wanted to go and try them out.  He pleaded this as the reason for turning down the invitation to a meal.  It's no surprise that his would-be host was - to say the least - somewhat put out.

Five years ago, I found myself in rather a similar position as that man.  I had not only planned to go on a bell-ringing outing, but had undertaken to provide transport for my friend, who was anxious to travel 'top-down' in my sporty little car.  What I hadn't realised until it was too late, was that that very weekend coincided with my cousin's Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Fortunately, although bitterly disappointed, she did forgive me, but during the last year she's made one or two pointed reminders about the Emerald Event this weekend.  Needless to say, the date has long been engraved not only in my diary but in my memory, too.

But that's far from my only experience that matches that of the man in the Bible story.  The excitement of, and attraction to, something new is a common emotion in the human psyche.  I remember it especially from last summer, when one thing after another seemed to get in the way of my moving into my new home, not least in the early days when the anxiety was whether or not I would be accepted as a potential tenant.  Now I'm in, and getting established - slowly, and as yet to a very limited extent - in the community.  

During the autumn I responded to a plea for a new church treasurer and, after a prolonged period of suspense, it was only this week that, as a consequence, I took charge of a whole bag of files and paperwork stretching back over quite a number of years.  And that same 'must try them out' feeling was here again.

I couldn't wait to get to the end of my current WEBBS assignment so I could spread those files all over the desk and distinguish the real antiquities from what will be useful and essential for the preparation of last year's accounts.  Now that examination has been made, calm is restored, although the many unknown challenges of a newcomer taking on such a responsibility sometimes take over my dreams.  I sometimes wake up in what my mother used to describe as 'the biggest of muddle' and then don't properly sleep again until getting-up time.

By the time you read this, I shall be on my way, shall have just arrived, or shall be celebrating with the rest of the family, and for the weekend all thoughts of bank statements and spreadsheets will have been put to flight ... even if, like this blog, they will be 'back next week as usual'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.