Friday 17 January 2020

Just Saying ...

Have you noticed that, when you hear - or are reminded of - a wise saying or proverb, almost immediately will come to mind another which has the opposite meaning?  The classic example is 'Many hands make light work' while not forgetting that 'Too many cooks spoil the broth'!  Yesterday afternoon a less common pairing came to mind.  I made a decision that seemed right at the time: I decided to 'go with the flow'; but now, however, I'm wondering whether I've 'bitten off more than I can chew'.

Thursday afternoons are usually quite quiet at the hospice distribution centre, giving the opportunity to achieve more as a result of focused activity with little interruption for chatter.  Not so yesterday.  I had been writing a procedure document to help ensure that all the volunteers are 'singing from the same hymn-sheet' (Sorry about that ... I couldn't resist injecting another saying!) when it comes to carrying out the work of our section.  After having my draft reviewed by the first of two others whose experience parallels my own, but on different days of the week, I was anxious to implement her suggestions before it is viewed by the other person, who happens to be leaving today, so his input is both potentially useful, but also urgent.

All this was being done against the background of conversations about the progress - or otherwise - of a new volunteer whom I have been training on Tuesdays, and discussions between my manager and others about developments concerning changes in the pattern of van usage.  Not unnaturally, I had an ear to this, since one of my commitments to the place is as a stand-in driver when required.

It was at this point that another volunteer, having finished her usual duties with time to spare, was guided to help me, with the comment that there was an abundance of scanning to be done.  Prompted, I think, by the general pressure surrounding her, my manager then quipped, "How do you fancy moving in here, Brian, and doing a night shift?"  After a year or more, I'm getting used to her sense of humour and didn't respond.  However, my awareness of the situation she referred to prompted me later to offer to come in on Saturday (tomorrow) as a one-off gesture to reducing the overall workload.  Once she realised I was serious, my offer was 'seized with open arms' (another saying!).

Yet another saying comes to mind, as I think of my life in slightly wider terms.  'As one door closes, another one opens.'  For four months or so during the summer I held the seemingly prestigious post of membership secretary to a national 'associate organisation' of the Liberal Democrats.  It proved a useful opportunity to gain certain elements of expertise but, on Guy Fawkes' night (November 5th, for non-English readers), I resigned from the post, unable to cope any longer with the absence of a reliable flow of information.  At our local AGM a week or so later, I was persuaded to take on the same role for our own branch and much of last weekend was spent poring over the records I have now inherited as the start of the new year heralds newly-elected officials taking office.

As a result, I've become aware of the same potential problems: the neatening and automation of a spreadsheet database (helped by my recent national experience) and identifying a regular source of up-to-date information.  One advantage will be the local nature of the responsibilities, which I hope will make any difficulties easier to resolve.

So, as I now look forward to my first Saturday 'at work' for several years, I'm wondering whether the pattern of one responsibility neatly dovetailing with another will continue ... Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.