Friday 30 August 2019

Keeping All the Balls in the Air

It's been a tiring week ... I don't suppose I'm the only one to say that, given the hottest August Bank Holiday on record.  Sleep has definitely been at a premium and - although they say that the body only ever makes up for two-thirds (or is it three fifths ... something in that order, anyway) of the sleep it loses - I've been yawning my way through most days this week.

Looking back at what I've done, I don't think there was much out of the ordinary; at least, nothing really 'extra-ordinary'.  I visited my cousin as I usually do on bank holidays, but spent the day-and-a-bit indoors, rather than gallivanting about the locality ... at our age it takes very little to dissuade us from any idea of a gallivant!  I couldn't sleep until gone midnight on Monday morning, but drove home in the evening non-stop with neither traffic hold-up nor fatigue.  It seems to have caught up with me once I'd regained home terrain.

Work on Tuesday was exciting, not for variety but because of coordinating help both in the morning and the afternoon.  When there is no help, I'm happy to work alone, but when someone else arrives to share the work, it involves re-arrangement of the work into a 'production line' and the two parts don't of their very nature operate at the same speed, so there is either a hold-up or a build-up, which creates dissatisfaction so far as my mind is concerned.

On Wednesday afternoon I devoted three hours or so to the apparently lengthy task of preparing the items I'd collected last Wednesday, getting them ready for sale.  Although helpful of itself, this underlined to me what a lengthy job that will be ... for someone, but certainly not exclusively for me!

This morning's excitement was the follow-up to the problem with the van that gave me a day off last Friday.  The problem, though identified by the garage, is still not fixed, and new alarm lights meant that our usual routine was curtailed.

Nothing daunted, I'm planning watching another football match tomorrow.  The team I'm becoming used to calling 'mine' (while recognising that 'other teams are available'), Biggleswade FC, are playing their first Saturday home match in the Southern League, and I'm hoping they will repeat their performance of last Saturday when they achieved their second FA Cup win of this year's competition, going into the draw for the First Qualifying round for the first time.

In the meantime, I'm finding light relief catching up on other voluntary commitments ... desk jobs in the political sphere.  With the conference season upon us and Brexit lurking in the background, life is nothing if not exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.