Friday 29 June 2018

The Marvels of Freecycle and our Magnificent NHS!

A few months ago, I announced the sad demise of my computer, and its replacement by a smaller and (hopefully) more capable one.  So, at least, it has proved thus far.  Meanwhile, its predecessor has lain gathering dust, propped uselessly against the wall.  I had made approaches to a charity about it being taken for scrap, but there was the question of removing all my personal data from a machine that refused to start ... a question to which no answer has been found.

Last week's exercise of clearing the corner where it had been parked brought its fate to the fore once again.  I decided that the only way to secure my data was to remove the hard disk which contained it.  This I did, surprisingly without damaging the remainder of the apparatus, as I had feared.  My first thought - of then taking the heartless cadaver to the local tip - was now put aside in favour of trying to help someone else, and I advertised it on Freecycle, fully explaining its shortcomings.

I had an amazing fourteen replies, some saying they wanted it for a relative if it could be resurrected, others longer and shorter, down to a simple 'yes please.'  Allowing time for those who only see posts on a daily digest to respond, I chose one and e-mailed him, suggesting times when he could collect it.  When these had elapsed without his knock on my door or a responding e-mail, I chose a second name from my list, phoned her to arrange an 'appointment', and waited, feeling more confident this time of its disposal.  This was achieved earlier today.

The outcome of my second doctor's visit following my post-holiday infection was a second blood test, to confirm an anticipated change as a result of defeating the infection.  A subsequent call from the surgery led to an appointment yesterday morning 'to discuss the results of the blood test'.  In the meantime I had developed a cold that I had been unable to shake off.  Gradually this got worse and by Tuesday night I was feverish.  Shivering at bedtime is not to be expected when the temperature outside is in the mid-to-high twenties Centigrade!

I stuck it out until yesterday's appointment; the doctor I saw has his office upstairs and, by the time I arrived at his door I was gasping.  He bade me sit down and asked 'how are you?'  I almost fell onto the chair, and said, 'not good!'  After going through all the usual checks, scrolling through notes of my recent visits and so on, he prescribed antibiotics to attack the chest infection and steroids to calm the asthma, made arrangements for a chest x-ray and further blood tests ... and for the practice nurse to put me on a nebuliser.

Now, I have seen one of these in action in the hospital but never personally experienced its effect.  I entered the room a gasping wreck and emerged ten minutes later emerged, breathing freely, ready to march off for my medication.  The doctor said it would 'open up the airwaves' and, by golly, it did!

The next step was to drive to the local hospital for the X-ray.  This, too, was a new experience for me.  I was gently urged into position against the machine by the warm fingertips of the nurse, told to hold my breath ... and it was done.  A complete contrast was the following visit to pathology.  Here I was politely told - with apologies - that there would be a wait of at least an hour-and-a-half.  Had I realised that this would be the case, I would have gone there first and had the X-ray during my wait.  I got a drink and sat nearby reading a story on the Kindle app on my phone.  What a blessing that phone has been! 

After the hour-and-a-half, I returned and was eventually called after another forty minutes.  I was welcomed by a nurse with a broad smile and, during her most efficient conduct of the routine process, was amused by - and drawn into - affectionate banter between her and her colleague.  With pressure like that, it was a tonic both for them and for me, and good that it was possible!

Now feeling much better, but definitely still with a long way to go, I can join in our church's monthly day of prayer, although not fasting this time owing to the needs of the medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.