Saturday 1 October 2016

The Magnificant Seven*

I thought I'd tell you about the people with whom I spent half an hour yesterday evening.

There was a wife and mother whose family is scattered far and wide.  At present her husband is teaching several thousand miles away.  She delighted in having had the day to think how to respond to a lovely letter from a colleague's six-year-old granddaughter.

One lady has had a difficult time for many years.  She suffers from cancer, which appears to be in remission just now, but she's still in constant pain and can't get around without either a motorised wheelchair or her son driving her.  Depression makes her reactions and behaviour a little difficult sometimes, although at others it's clear she has a wonderful sense of humour

Another is a single seventy-year-old.  She still leads a very active life, coaching at the local tennis club and visiting friends and family near and far.  She shared her joy at making a couple of new friends during the week.

A young ordinand was thrilled at having completed the first assignment of her course at the 'vicar-factory' ... and had found time to get a birthday present for her daughter.

A man who works at a nearby pharmaceutical plant had ordered a takeaway meal which he would collect on his way home.  He texted me later to apologise for not saying much to me, and asked of my welfare, commenting that I had seemed quiet.

Yes, I was quiet.  I've not been sleeping well lately and my body had told me to spend part of my afternoon in bed, having realised that that would be more beneficial than dozing in the armchair.  I returned refreshed, and able to turn my attention to plans and preparations for two little adventures that are coming up in the next week.  My thoughts were still focussed on these affairs.

I decided that, rather than simply follow a by-election campaign on the computer, it would bring some sense of achievement if I were to go and lend a hand at their local headquarters, even for only a day.  If I can find a bed for the night at a price I can afford, then I'll stay for two days.

Later in the week, I shall take the motorhome for its MOT.  At the same time I can get it tested for any deficiencies in the habitation aspects, such as bad ventilation of the gas heating ... a not insignificant danger to avoid! Unfortunately, this means being without the vehicle for a short period, so I'm leaving her for a 'holiday', and will collect her when the work is done, which may be some time later, owing to an exhibition which the engineer is attending.  The challenge is, therefore, how do I get home afterwards?

Although I had the offer from a friend of a lift, the times when he can do this don't readily coincide with when the establishment is open, and when I'm not otherwise engaged myself.  After some investigation (and a small amount of swearing at my computer screen), I've discovered a sequence of train and three buses by which I can be home by mid-afternoon.  Assuming it works, the next challenge will be whether or not this process can be reverse-engineered in order to recover the motorhome later in the month. For now, I'm crossing one bridge at a time!

(*- for maths check, see Matt. 18:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.