Saturday 21 May 2016

A Successful Week

When I was driving, there were times when I had to consult the diary to see what I'd done; usually that would be at the end of a very full week.   I have that same feeling this morning; last weekend seems a long while ago.  Not only has it been a full week, but a successful one too, in many ways.  It began with my first duty on a new church rota, that for giving lifts to the morning service.  I had arrived early, to make sure I didn't miss my designated passenger, but was uncertain exactly where I should find her.  I drove around the block at least twice before deciding there might have been some confusion and moving off without her.  However, I made one last approach, this time from the opposite direction, and there she was ... in answer to my unuttered prayer!  Our short journey afforded a surprisingly rewarding opportunity for us to get to know each other ... the first success of the week!

The second one, equally, had a vehicular connection.  I'd spotted some carpet offcuts on Freecycle, and after church went off to collect in a nearby village.  The afternoon sunshine allowed me to spread these out on the car park, where I was able to justify my opinion that they would, together, provide the ideal complement to the awning I bought last year for the motorhome.  In fact, some trimming was required to reduce the three largest pieces to the required length, and the resulting 'offcuts of offcuts' enabled me to extend the carpeted area of my kitchen to good effect.  One piece that I collected remained entirely unused, so was re-offered on Freecycle, and duly collected later in the week.

Monday found me embroiled in my health and safety duties.  After the excitement of the last couple of months, canvassing a number of church members who hold positions of responsibility, I needed to analyse and report on the responses I've received.  Last weekend had also seen my second regular inspection of the premises, so that was cause for another report - two items comfortingly deleted from my to-do list.

Following the flare-up at the weekend of a minor but irritating condition that has troubled me intermittently for perhaps as much as thirty years, I visited my doctor on Tuesday.  I was rewarded by a positive diagnosis, accompanied by arrangements to visit a consultant to determine the appropriate treatment to overcome it ... another success.

By Wednesday, I was on a roll.  I tackled another lesson in my 'Teach Yourself' Welsh course.  After spending the afternoon getting to grips with the aspirate mutation, and wondering just how many more variations of mutation there might be to blight this language, I went along to choir practice.  Often these midweek evenings are reduced in attendance because of other commitments - including work! - but they are arranged to afford additional practice between the monthly Sunday morning gatherings for those who can make them.  This week, however, all parts were represented ... and none by just a single voice!  It was both productive and encouraging for us all.

Thursday's reward was prompted by the Excel webinar I had watched last week, after which I realised that the techniques described were not the solution to my problem.  These thoughts had been maturing subconsciously during the week and I now sought to attack the matter by other means.  After a long struggle, some exploration and a degree of persistence, I have achieved moderate success, which will be verified only by regular use in 'normal' conditions over the next few weeks.

Finally, yesterday, the name Excel came again to the fore, but in a different guise.  Some while ago, I accepted an on-line offer of a free ticket for the Christian Resources Exhibition, which I've only visited once before, for a mere ten minutes just before closing time after making a nearby delivery some twelve or so years ago.  I discovered last week that the value of my free admission was less than one-third of the inescapable car park charge, but decided that it was still a good bargain for, without the offer, I probably wouldn't have even considered attending.

I had learned that a friend from Letchworth would also be at Excel for CRE, helping on one of the stands so, after an initial wander around, I presented myself at his stall, was introduced to his colleague and giving an invitation to an event to take place in one of the conference rooms in the afternoon. This event turned out to be the final of a competition entitled 'The Sermon of the Year 2016'.  It was organised in two sections, under- and over-21, so the final actually involved four sermons.  All of them were interesting and thought-provoking, but in my opinion there was a clear winner in each section.  I was gratified to discover that my thoughts echoed those of the three judges ... another success!

The final success of the week has not yet been fully realised, I'm sure.  I took advantage of an offer at the Exhibition to provide myself with a new Bible, incorporating lots of study material, at only two-thirds of the normal price. One interesting and informative feature was discovered in it this morning, and I'm positive that I shall find many more in due course.

Can next week be so rewarding?  Wait with me ... and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following a spate of spam comments, all comments on this blog are moderated. Only genuine comments on the content will be published or responded to.